The Hillside Chronicle

The Student News Site of Hillside High School

The Hillside Chronicle

The Hillside Chronicle

Know More About Durham

The+East+Grange+sunflower+farm.+
Shaatha Aousaimi
The East Grange sunflower farm.

Do you know that Durham was named after a person named Dr. Bartlett Snipes Durham? This man gave his land to the N.C. railroad. Durham is also famously known as “City of Medicine” with healthy care as a major industry, including 300 medical and health-related companies and medical practice.

Durham also has a lot of places to visit. Sarah P. Duke Gardens has many breathtaking views.  Duke Gardens has many kinds of flowers  and an interesting place to take pictures. It has a Japanese-style garden and tea gathering. People also visit the garden to learn about the habitat that can be found at the gardens. 

Student Services Assistant Ms. Lucy Brummett has visited the Sarah P. Duke Gardens. She enjoys learning about flowers at the garden.  She says, “I really like the red bridge at the garden because it has a unique structure.

Another fun outdoor place to visit in Durham is East Grange, a family-run farm. Freshman Shaatha Aousaimi has visited East Grange and says that “It is a beautiful place to visit, and I learned that the bees there are accustomed to humans.”

Locals do not have to leave North Carolina to watch a Broadway show because you can watch it at Durham Performing Art Center. DPAC ranks annually among the top five theaters in the United States. If you go there you might also have an experience to watch what is happening behind the scenes.