The Hillside Chronicle

The Student News Site of Hillside High School

The Hillside Chronicle

The Hillside Chronicle

Sleeping is Important!

Teenagers & sleep
Sleeping is Important!

Who can help if you’re having problems sleeping?A doctor or a counselor can help teens find ways to deal with any stress that may be causing them to have a hard time sleeping. They may need to see a sleep specialist if poor sleep continues to affect their daily lives. A sleep specialist has the expertise to find the source of sleep problems in teens.Good sleep habits and other lifestyle changes, such as a healthy diet and exercise.Cognitive behavioral therapy or relaxation techniques to reduce anxiety about getting enough sleep. CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine for sleep apnea. Where the best time to wake up? Waking up about 90 minutes before you need to be “on” is best to give yourself enough time to do an energizing morning routine and shake off sleep inertia. For example, if you need to start class at 9:15, try waking up around 7:30 a.m. When is the best time for teens to sleep and wake up? Sleep should be achieved at night.  Young people might do best going to bed around 10pm and waking around 7 a.m. Why is it important for you to sleep? Sleep improves brain performance, mood, and health. Not getting enough quality sleep regularly raises the risk of many diseases and disorders. These range from heart disease and stroke to obesity and dementia.During sleep, your body is working to support healthy brain function and maintain your physical health. In children and teens, sleep also helps support growth and development. Getting inadequate sleep over time can raise your risk for chronic (long-term) health problems.the teen years, the body’s internal sleep clock is reset to fall asleep later at night and wake up later in the morning. This change happens because teen brains make the sleep hormone melatonin later at night than kids’ and adults’ brains do. So, teens have a harder time falling asleep. Sometimes this delay in the sleep–wake cycle is so severe that it affects a person’s daily activities. How many hours you need to get enough sleep?Adults sleep between 7 and 9 hours a night. Adults who sleep less than 7 hours a night may have more health issues than those who sleep 7 or more hours a night.light-emitting screens just before bedtime. Consider using room-darkening shades, earplugs, a fan or other devices to create an environment that suits your needs. Doing calming activities before bedtime, such as taking a bath or using relaxation techniques, might promote better sleeping Quote:My sister  said  ¨students should sleep early 10pm /7am that means you will get 10 hours of sleep and you will have the energy to get ready for school and by being on time. If you sleep late you will not have The energy to get up your mood will start to change for not sleeping early¨.